The blog of Andrew Collingwood, an independent socialist blogger dismayed at the damage the ConDem coalition are doing to this country.
Monday, 21 June 2010
Why I'm supporting Diane Abbott for Labour leader
Today Diane Abbott launched her campaign website at http://www.diane4leader.co.uk
I was very pleased to see her reach the required amount of nominations to enter the race. If Diane becomes leader of the Labour Party we will see a real difference between Labour and the Con Libs, a difference which I believe will bring many more people back to the Labour Party who have either stopped voting or voted for minor parties in recent years.
I stopped voting Labour after the Iraq war and refused to vote for party again until Blair had left office. During this time there were still many Labour MPs who inspired me, who voted against the exceses of the Blairite era, such as Diane who voted against the Iraq War, tuition fees, Trident and ID cards. These are not radical views, a large amount of the electorate were against these policies.
I also greatly respect Diane's position on immigration. Some of the leadership candidates have chosen to empathise with Mrs Duffy and argue that we were wrong on immigration and that it helped us lose the election. I do not believe this is the case, and it is good to see a candidate who is willing to challenge the misconceptions about immigration and to focus on the core issues behind discontentment amongst the electorate such as housing and jobs.
I feel it is important that we focus on what Labour did right in the past 13 years such as the minimum wage, equality legislation, Northern Ireland peace process. improved public services. I feel Diane is best placed to carry on this agenda, and to steer us clear of unpopular policies.
Diane for Leader Facebook group
Diane Abbott Twitter feed
Labels:
diane abbott,
labour
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment