Friday, 1 August 2008

Lambeth Conference / Green Leadership

I won't go over the arguments about hypocrisy again which I outlined when the Lambeth conference started. http://thelifeofmrandyc.blogspot.com/2008/07/let-he-without-sin-throw-first-stone.html I will just say that it has come as no surprise that the Archbishop of Canterbury has put appeasing the bigots above gay rights.

Peter Tatchell concisely sums up the situation:

“The Lambeth Conference seems more interested in appeasing homophobes within the church than in defending the human rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people,” said queer human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell of OutRage!

“The Archbishop of Canterbury is putting church unity before gay equality. There should be no collusion with anti-gay bishops who support the imprisonment of gay people and the banning of gay churches.

“Dr Rowan Williams would never appease racists or anti-Semites. Why, then, is he seeking to accommodate within the Anglican Communion boastful homophobes like the Archbishops of Nigeria and Uganda?”
http://www.petertatchell.net/religion/lambethconferenceanglicanshomophobes.htm

The problems of internal democracy in the Green Party has now made the national press - http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/columnists/pandora/pandora-leadership-election-takes-a-nasty-turn-for-the-green-party-882620.html You will not be surprised to learn than I was one of the members who signed the letter of protest.

Weather: Cooler, a little bit of sun and rain
Listening to: Planet Rock

4 comments:

Green Gordon said...

Unfortunately that article has a few factual inaccuracies.

I sound like I'm coming out on one side, I'm not. I'm against hysteria on both sides... (and I'm left wing)

Jim Jepps said...

I was surprised you linked to an article with so many obvious and glaring inaccuracies without comment.

For instance, SOC's "decision to publish the contact details of 7,000 members" They decided to publish all the members contact details did they?

No. Of course they didn't. And to pass that false information on without correction seems very odd.

Douglas Coker said...

Yup

Don't rely on the bourgeois capitalist press!!

Douglas Coker
Enfield Green Party

Mr Andy C said...

Yes, I agree the article should have stated that details would be release of 7,000 members unless they had chosen to opt out.

And just in case you are wondering, I have no idea who leaked to the press.